Churches & Cemeteries

Broad Creek Cemetery - Circa 1652


Broad Creek Cemetery is the site of one of the earliest centers of activity on the Island, now undergoing archaeological investigation and restoration. Archaeology and site interpretation is available the 1st Saturday of every month from May to October. Operating hours are from  10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Learn more about Broad Creek Cemetery.

Bryan United Methodist Church - Circa 1912


The Bryan's Chapel site has been in continual use since the 1800's. Today it consists of a 1912 church, a 1911 church hall, and a cemetery dating back to 1896. The charter congregation members are believed to have been free and indentured African Americans. This church still has weekly services.

Dudley's Chapel - Circa 1783


Dudley's Chapel is the oldest Methodist church still standing in the county and is also the 5th oldest Methodist Church in the United States. This location is currently under restoration. Dudley's Chapel is the preaching station for Bishops Cooke and Ashbury and is open by request only.


Historic Christ Episcopal Church - Circa 1880


Originally home to the oldest continuous Christian congregation in Maryland, the Queen Anne-style 1880 church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours are available upon request and open the 1st Saturday of each month from May to October from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Learn more about the Historic Christ Episcopal Church.

St. Paul's Parish - Circa 1692


The Episcopal Church was built at its current location in 1834 and by 1909 it had been remodeled 3 times. It is recommended that visitors take note of the church’s remarkable stained glass windows. St. Paul's Parish offers weekly services.

St. Peter's Catholic Church


Romanesque and Victorian architecture adorn the brick exterior at St. Peter's Catholic Church. The interior has been refinished in colonial tradition with stained glass windows and mid-19th century brass. Mass is on Saturdays at  5:30 p.m. and Sundays at 11:15 a.m.


St. Luke’s Episcopal Church - Queenstown


This very neat and commodious frame edifice was constructed in 1840-1841 and consecrated by Bishop William R. Whittingham in April 1842. The church was erected on land donated by the owners of nearby Bowlingly plantation. The building is a marvelous example of the small country churches built in villages of the mid-19th century. Learn more about St. Luke's Episcopal Church.

Charles Wesley Methodist Church - Centreville, MD


The place of worship for one of the oldest African-American congregations in the county, this late Victorian Gothic-style frame structure has the date 1909 on the cornerstone, and a stone from the original church shows 1873. The church was the social center of the black community with socials, ribbon sales, promenades, strawberry festivals and box and shoe socials. Read more about Charles Wesley Methodist Church.

Old Wye Church


This church was originally built in 1717, substantially restored in the 1940s. Read more about Old Wye Church.

To read more on Queen Anne's County history please visit Kent Island Heritage Society Read more about Kent Island Heritage Society .