Location & Business
Barclay is a small crossroads community in agricultural northern Queen Anne’s County at the intersection of Maryland Routes 313 and 302. The town is comprised mostly of single family houses sheltering approximately 150 people. It has several family-owned businesses, the largest of which is Delmarva Sash and Door Company, Inc., which was founded in October 1942 and employs approximately 125 people. Other businesses include a retail tire outlet, a lawn and garden equipment repair shop, a burial vault company, an automotive body shop, and a grocery/deli store.
The town is visited several times a week by trains of the Maryland and Delaware Railroad Co. carrying grain, fertilizer, paper, and lumber products. The railroad was integral to local commerce in a former age when the town boasted a passenger depot, a passenger boarding house, and a milk depot that served area farmers.
The community was founded in 1873 as Merrikton and renamed Barclay in 1890. The designation “Town of Barclay” came with the town’s incorporation in February 1931. The town’s only employee is a part-time clerk / treasurer who works closely with the town commissioners in the daily operation of the town.
Lenora N. Swain, Clerk
P.O. Box 39
Barclay, MD 21607
Fax: 410-438-6059 Email
Small Town America
With its relaxed lifestyle, gracious residents, amicable merchants, and tree-lined streets, Centreville is a classic example of small-town America. The town was created to implement a 1782 Act of the state assembly that authorized removal of the courthouse and government functions of Queen Anne’s County from Queenstown to a more central location.
When suitable land was acquired 10 years later, logic prevailed in naming the place to reflect the site-selection specification. The aberrant spelling “Centre-Ville” stemmed from the adulation of all things French following the Revolutionary War. Actually, the site was chosen not only because of its central location, but also because of the maritime access provided by its proximity to the headwaters of the Corsica River.
Courthouse & Victorian Architecture
Building of the federal-style courthouse began in 1791; the first recorded case was heard there in 1794. The same building-with 19th-century additions- still graces the town square and proudly wears the mantle of oldest courthouse in continuous use in the State of Maryland. Queen Anne’s County Historical Society displays other notable examples of 18th century architecture: Wright’s Chance (built before 1744) and the Tucker House (Circa 1794). The fine houses built by sea captains near the Wharf also are among the oldest dwellings to be found in Centreville.
History is reflected in the diverse architecture seen along the streets of the town-elegant Victorian homes with their wrap-around porches, neoclassical public buildings, late 19th century commercial rows, late 20th century institutional and government structures, and all the variations and curiosities in between.
Center of the County
Today, Centreville remains the governmental and legal center of Queen Anne’s County and the commercial center of the surrounding agricultural community. Busy state Route 213 runs through the town. A business park at the south end of town is progressing nicely. There is a modern library and a comprehensive high school, a middle school, and an elementary school. The people who live and work in Centreville are in step with the world but have managed to preserve the traditional lifestyle of their town. Visit the Town of Centreville website and take a video tour to learn more about this central city.
101 Lawyer's Row
Centreville, MD 21617 Email Website
Farming Countryside Church Hill is a quaint little town dating back to colonial days. Nestled in beautiful farming countryside, it has been a quiet, friendly place throughout the years. It is believed that Church Hill was named for the historic St. Luke’s Episcopal Church (Circa 1732), which sits atop a hill overlooking the center of town. Take a video tour of the town.
Church Hill had, at one time, as many as six churches in the town, but the name is most likely derived from St. Luke's which sits on top of the hill at the foot of Walnut Street. Incorporated in 1876.
The community began forming in the late 1600s but was not incorporated until 1876. By that time, there was a lengthy list of businesses located there, from shoemaker to butcher to physician and more. But the Civil War and the world wars took their tolls. Today, Church Hill is considered a “bedroom community” with only a few businesses remaining.
Historical Buildings & Structures
The town’s history can be read in its buildings. The Mill, known as “Collins Mill” when the original structure was built in 1698, is the site of one of the earliest documented water mills on the central eastern shore. It played a significant role in the agricultural economy of the county until it ceased to operate during World War II. Tradition holds that the bricks used to construct St. Luke’s Church were unloaded near the mill after their transportation from England.
The Mill Residence (Circa 1765), originally part of the Mill property, is probably the oldest building still standing in Church Hill. The Town Hall, formerly a store, a butcher’s shop, and a private residence, was built in the early part of the 19th century. A portion of the town’s elementary school was originally a high school built in 1916. The homes exhibit a variety of architectural styles, from Colonial, to Victorian, to Modern.
Church Hill Theatre
The town is best known today perhaps for its Church Hill Theatre, located in a converted 1930s movie house. Local and repertory players offer performances of classic theater, Shakespearean plays, musicals, and children’s plays. Residents showcase their town’s peaceful country atmosphere as an added attraction for visiting theater-goers.
B. Ross Rhones, Jr, Town Clerk / Administrator
324 Main Street
P.O. Box 85
Church Hill, MD 21623
Fax: 410-556-6635 Email Website
Naming & Incorporation
The Town of Millington, a municipal corporation under Maryland law, was originally chartered as a town by the Maryland General Assembly in 1798. The town was incorporated in 1890. Millington grew up as a small village located on the Chester River sharing shores with both Kent and Queen Anne's County. The land on which it is located was settled in the late 17th century. Over the years the name of the town as changed originating as Head of Chester, to Bridgetown around 1724, and finally in 1818 to become known as the Town of Millington.
Commerce & Agriculture
Prior to the Civil War, the Town of Millington was a busy seat of commerce and agriculture. Millington was located in the center of a large corn, wheat, and fruit growing area. Downtown commerce included a hardware store, clothing and supply shops, a bank, hotels, and mills. Today, Millington's commerce includes a hardware store, pharmacy, dog groomer, grain mill, wholesale seafood market, grocery store, liquor store, pizza shops, and a fine dining restaurant.
In the late 1860s the railroad was constructed connecting Wilmington and Philadelphia to Millington and points further south. The Kent and Queen Anne's Railroad enabled Millington to become one of the largest peach shippers in the county for some time.
Character & Atmosphere
Today Millington is still a small town with strong echoes from the past. Millington is a walkable, self-contained town with a clear rural character and atmosphere. The town has a public park and a skateboard park within the town limits. The Millington Ballfield Association in conjunction with the Millington Lions Club, have a facility on the Kent County Board of Education property bordering close to the town limits. The Millington Swim Club facility with a swimming pool and tennis court is located partially in the Town limits and is owned and operated by the Kent County Parks and Recreation for public use.
There is also the head of the Chester River running through the Town of Millington offering lovely public fishing areas with perch spawning in the spring and catfish, spot, sunfish, yellow perch and the occasional striped bass throughout the remainder of the season. At it’s water-front park, the Town of Millington offers a canoe and kayak launch, fishing piers, and a nature trail.
402 Cypress Street
P.O. Box 330
Millington, MD 21651
Phone: 410-928-3880 Email Website
In the 1850s, the area that is now the town of Queen Anne, was part of a 225-acre farm owned by Jacob Morgan. Initially, the town nucleus was nothing but a 1½ story dwelling, but in 1864 Mr. Morgan built a more substantial place that was known locally as “The Mansion House,” and the locale was known as Morgansville.
At that time, the Pennsylvania Railroad had been laid as far south as Greensboro and, a little later, to Ridgely and Hillsboro and thence across Tuckahoe Creek. In 1878, the railroad purchased a site for a station across the creek in Queen Anne’s County, and, quite logically, named it Queen Anne when the station was finally put into service about 1882.
Commercial Center of Maryland
That was the genesis of the town known today as Queen Anne. It grew quickly, becoming an important commercial center for the Maryland, Delaware and Virginia Railroad. In those days, Tuckahoe Creek that winds lazily through Queen Anne on its way to the Choptank River, was used by scows to haul grain from down river to the railroad.
Queen Anne today is a pleasant town of residences and local rural commerce. It is situated in 2 counties (Queen Anne’s and Talbot) and borders on Caroline County.
Naming the Town Queenstown was established in 1707, although at that time it was named “Queen Anne’s Towne” in honor of Good Queen Anne of England. In 1710, the name was changed to “Queen’s Towne.” Eventually the “e” was dropped and the name became 1 word.
Queenstown was the first county seat of Queen Anne’s County and was established contemporaneously with the town. In 1708, the county’s first courthouse was built there. Queenstown remained the county seat until 1782, at which time the seat was moved to Centreville.
War of 1812
During the War of 1812, Queenstown was the only town in Queen Anne’s County to be attacked by the British. The attack occurred in August 1813 at the “Bowlingly” estate. The British seriously damaged the estate and its contents before moving on to Kent Island. “Bowlingly” still exists today as a private residence.
After surviving the War of 1812, Queenstown was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1820. But the town rebuilt and kept moving forward. In the early to mid-1850s, Queenstown became a stop for steamboats that carried goods and passengers up and down the Chester River and to and from Baltimore.
Today, agriculture and seafood harvesting are the dominant economic factors in the area. A large retail factory outlet complex and the Queenstown Harbor Golf Links, located in the town limits, are other significant elements that have a healthy impact on the town’s economy.
In the 1970s, the Board of Town Commissioners established the Queenstown Historic Preservation Committee for the main purpose of purchasing and restoring the original courthouse property. Since it ceased to serve its original purpose in 1782, the building has been at various times a home, warehouse, drug store, grocery store, restaurant, beer parlor, post office, and antique shop. In 1977, the town acquired the property and started the restoration work. Over 400 individuals and businesses have been involved with the project in diverse ways.
Take a video tour of Queenstown.
7013 Main Street
P.O. Box 4
Queenstown, MD 21658
Fax: 410-827-7661 Email Website
The community that was to become Sudlersville took root in 1740 when Joseph Sudler, a Kent Island land owner, purchased 800 acres “south of the Chester River.” The land included the homestead known as Sledmore, which had been built in 1713. There is no indication that Joseph Sudler ever took up residence at Sledmore. Most likely his son Richard was the 1st Sudler to live there; he died in 1797 and was buried in the family graveyard. Since that time until the present day, a continuity of direct descendants of the Sudler family has lived at Sledmore and elsewhere in Sudlersville.
A Growing Town
In 1811, Dixon’s Tavern and a post office were established near Sledmore in the village called Sudler’s Cross Roads. That name was changed to Sudlersville in 1839. By the mid 1800s, the village had 15 houses, a general store, a Methodist Church, and a blacksmith. At the end of that century, there were about 40 houses and an assortment of commercial, ecclesiastical, and educational institutions. One of those was the Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, whose then place of worship today houses the Sudlersville Memorial Library.
Michelle Thompson, Town Clerk / Treasurer
200 S Church Street
Sudlersville, MD 21668
Fax: 410-438-3776 Email Website
Templeville is a small country village of less than 100 inhabitants. It lies along Maryland Route 302; its buildings on the north side of the road are in Queen Anne’s County and those on the south side are in Caroline County. At about the center of town, Route 454 branches off to the south into Caroline County; several homes line the western side of that road.
Harvest & Features
Residents look out of their windows upon fields being planted in the spring and harvested in the fall. They can take their families fishing or for a picnic in the town park. The store and post office are just a short stroll away.
Just outside the town are several old cemeteries. One that dates back to the 1700s is the resting place of members of the Temple family for whom the town is named