News Flash

County News

Posted on: May 22, 2019

First responders concerned that weekend traffic jams may cost lives

First Responders Speak with Commissioners Regarding Safety

It may only be a matter of time before weekend beach traffic that clogs Kent Island’s back roads may cost someone their life because first responders, both paid and volunteer, can’t get from their homes to the stations or from the firehouse to the patient in a timely manner.
“We all know how important the Golden Hour is, but we have a hard time getting people and equipment to an accident,” said Commission President James Moran.
Those were the concerns shared among the first responders and regular citizens in the audience Tuesday evening at the commissioners’ regular meeting. 
Moran said the county presented to the state a Beach to Bridge plan that would alleviate some of Kent Island, Grasonville and Queenstown’s snarled traffic only to have the plan shot down by the state. 
Dr. Joseph Ciotola of the QAC Health Department said to the commissioners, “You are the board of health for the county and we have been discussing this with the state for six years. There is a risk to public health and safety if we can’t get units back and forth and the return time (from the hospitals) is a significant issue. This is an emergency situation now. I think you could declare an emergency.”
The commissioners invited the first responders, both volunteer and paid, to come back for next week’s meeting on May 28, to continue the discussion and search for solutions that can be implemented soon.
Today’s navigational apps such as Waze, note backups and redirect travelers to side roads. Last year, the county tried a Beach to Bridge plan to keep the section of Rt. 18 from Stevensville to Queenstown open to local traffic. The officers were stationed at strategic off ramps to direct motorists with western shore destinations to stay on Route 50. “In many cases folks were simply following navigation apps in their cars which direct them onto MD 18 and other back roads. Travelers don’t realize they are leaving one back-up and getting stuck in another,” said County Administrator Todd Mohn. 
At Tuesday’s meeting the commissioners voted to allocate $50,000 to pay for the additional law enforcement staff that this plan would depend on.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in County News

MLEMS_2019_Gold_4C

DES Receives Prestigious Award

Posted on: June 21, 2019

Sudlersville Park has Reopened

Posted on: May 13, 2019

Blue Heron Offers Golf for Kids

Posted on: April 22, 2019
pickleball Websize

Pickleball a Growing Sport in QAC

Posted on: April 18, 2019
VisitQAC Photo Contest

#VisitQAC Photo Contest Winners

Posted on: March 12, 2019

Earth Day 2019 School Video Competition

Posted on: February 13, 2019

Scam Using DES's Phone Number 1/22/19

Posted on: January 22, 2019

QAC's Senior Centers Create Video

Posted on: January 16, 2019

QAC Commissioners' Year in Review

Posted on: December 7, 2018
Haz Mit plan update website

DES Updates Hazard Mitigation Plan

Posted on: December 6, 2018

QAC Goes Purple Artistic Sign Donation

Posted on: September 13, 2018

SKI Rate Schedule Adopted

Posted on: August 30, 2018

Safe Disposal of Mercury Thermostats

Posted on: August 9, 2018