Information > Historic Sacred Sites of QAC > Centreville > Associated Methodist Church
Associated Methodist Church
Grace Methodist Protestant Church
Grace Methodist Church
1828 - 1959
Church History - Grace Methodist Church was the first Methodist Protestant Church on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The movement originated in Centreville in December 1828 as an outgrowth of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The new church organized in January 1829 as the Associated Methodist Church, a part of the Queen Anne Circuit, later became Grace Methodist Church.
A plot of ground donated by Mr. William Harper Sr. on July 8, 1830 became the site of the church. A brick building was built in 1887. The parsonage was built next to the church in 1892.
On February 1, 1959 Grace Methodist Church merged with Epworth Church to become Centreville United Methodist Church.
Garden of Methodism, E.C. Hallman, pg. 325
Located in Centreville, probably the pioneer Methodist Protestant Church on the Eastern Shore. The first deed is to “Associated Methodist Meeting House” dated 18 July 1830. The second deed which through an act of Legislature conveys property to the Methodist Protestant Church in Centreville dated 23 April 1877. The society was organized in the Methodist Episcopal Church on Sunday after December 14th 1828. They were united with the society at that time 24 males and 29 females making a total of 53 charter members. The agitation of separation from the mother church began in 1824. The church was built in 1828 and enlarged in 1908.
Queen Anne’s County Land Records Liber TM No. 5 folio 461 dated 30 July 1830
Incorporation of the Methodist Church in Centreville appointing trustees John D. Emory, John McFeely, Patrick Horgan, James Harper, Thomas Ashcom, William Reed, P.B. Hopper, William Harper Jr. and Henry Story.
Queen Anne’s County Land Records Liber TM No. 5 folio 462 dated 30 July 1830
Daniel C.H. Emory to the trustees of the Association of Methodist’s Meeting house to be built in Centreville in consideration of $5.00 being Lot No. 6 in the town of Centreville being one acre lying between 2 lots owned by Daniel Newnam.
Centreville Record 28 May 1887
Corner Stone to be Laid for the new MP Church in Centreville
Centreville Record 17 December 1910
Grace M.P. Church Celebrated Eighty Second Anniversary – a short history of the church.