QAC County Department of Health Offering Additional COVID-19 Shots for the Immunocompromised
The Queen Anne’s County Department of Health is now offering additional shots for the COVID-19 vaccine for those residents that are immunocompromised only.
The CDC considers immunocompromised individuals those who:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response (i.e., >20mg prednisone/day), alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, chemotherapeutic agents classified as severely immunosuppressive, TNF blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive
To schedule your appointment with the Health Department additional documentation will be needed the day of your appointment.
- A physician’s order or prescription from your doctor indicating your immunocompromised condition.
- Proof of initial vaccination. You can bring your COVID-19 Vaccination card or if it has been misplaced you can print out your immunization records after a short registration at https://md.myir.net/rorl?next=/
- Additionally, the third dose is only approved for mRNA vaccines (Pfizer or Moderna) and should be the same vaccine as received in the initial primary series.
- Finally, the additional dose will only be given 28 days or more after completion of the primary series, regardless of brand.
Those immunocompromised should be aware of the potential for reduced immune response to COVID-19 vaccination and should continue with the following preventive measures:
- Wear a face covering
- Stay 6 feet apart from those not in your household
- Avoid crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider.
To schedule your initial COVID-19 vaccine or additional dose, visit covidvax.maryland.gov and search by zip code 21617 and click on Health Departments, QAC Health Department “Schedule an Appointment”
For the latest information follow us on social media @QACDOH or @QACGOV or online qahealth.org or qaccovid.org