What is growth allocation?
Growth allocation is a process whereby local jurisdictions are allowed to approve additional growth and development in certain parts of the critical area by changing the critical area classification from RCA to either LDA or IDA or from LDA to IDA. Growth allocation is used to
accommodate more intense land uses and development than what would have been permitted based on the existing classification. Each county is allotted a finite number of acres that can be used to reclassify land.

Requests to use growth allocation must go through a rigorous review and approval process at the local level and must be approved by the local governing body. Following local approval, growth allocation requests must be submitted to the Critical Area Commission for review and approval.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Critical Area Program?
2. What are the critical area land classifications?
3. What is lot coverage and how does it affect my property?
4. If i buy a lot in the critical area, may I build a house on it?
5. If my home is in the critical area, will I be able to construct an addition or build a swimming pool, deck, or garage?
6. Can I remove trees from my property if it is in the critical area?
7. What are Habitat Protection Areas?
8. If I think I see a violation near the water, where do I call?
9. My property is in the RCA, can I create a lot to give to a family member?
10. What is a grandfathered lot? If my lot is grandfathered, am I exempt from the critical area regulations?
11. Are farming and timber harvesting exempt from the critical area regulations?
12. What is the Critical Area Commission?
13. Do I need to obtain the approval of the Critical Area Commission to build on my lot in the critical area?
14. What is the difference between local zoning ordinances and the state’s critical area law and regulations?
15. What is growth allocation?
16. What are FIDS?