Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off Day, April 17 in Chestertown
Kent County is hosting a free Household Hazardous Waste, Latex Paint & Electronics Recycling Drop Off Day on This service is limited to Mid-shore residents, which include Caroline, Kent, Queen Anne’s, and Talbot counties. This is for residents only not businesses, commercial or industrial customers. The drop off is Saturday, April 17, 2021 from 8:00 am till 2:00 pm rain or shine. Drop off is located at Nicholson Drop-off site, 23750 Larney Nick Road in Chestertown.
Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste Items Include:
• Gas, gas/oil mixes and automotive fuels
• Empty Propane Cylinders size # 40 and smaller (9.4 gallons and under)
• Acids, cleaners, and solvents
• Chemicals (pool, darkroom, etc.)
• Pesticides, insecticides, and herbicides
• Oil based paint, paint thinner, stains, turpentine, wood preservatives and wood strippers
• Fluorescent tubes and lamps (limit 15)
• Mercury thermometers
Acceptable Electronics Will Include:
• Computers and peripherals (keyboards, laptops, monitors, mice, printers, cables, modems, etc.)
• TVs, remotes, VCR, CD and DVD players (limit 4 TV’s)
• CB radios, fax machines, answering machines and copiers
Usable latex paint will be accepted for recycling. Do not bring unusable latex paint to the event. Instead, solidify the paint with an absorbent such as kitty litter, dirt or mulch and dispose of the paint in regular trash.
Items Not Accepted at this event are:
• Household trash
• Explosives and ammunition
• Medical and radioactive wastes
• Compressed gas cylinders other than propane cylinders listed above
• Smoke detectors
• Business, industrial, and commercial farm wastes
• Power tools and power tool batteries
• Household batteries
• Road/marine flares
• Liquid containers over 5-gallon maximum size
There is a limit of 20 gallons or 250 pounds of acceptable waster per residence. Face coverings are required to enter and use the facility and all social distancing guidelines must be followed.
For questions on the program, please contact the Maryland Environmental Service at (443) 685-4073.