Frequently Asked Questions

Division of Housing Frequently Asked Question

I am currently or in danger of becoming homeless. Can you help me? And if so, what do I do?

Yes, but unfortunately it isn’t as easy as just receiving funds to help.  You will need to come in and meet with one our Housing Program Administrators so that we can determine which resources will best suit your circumstances. On occasion our requests are so high that we run out of available funds.  If that happens we will work with you to help you find other resources.  To set up an appointment call the Division of Housing at 410-758-3977.

Where are you located?

The Department of Housing and Community Services is located behind the Goodwill Volunteer Fire Department at:

104 Powell Street
Centreville, Maryland

You can reach us at 410-758-3977.

What are your Office Hours?

Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.

Are you Housing Authority?

No, the Division of Housing is a resource offered by Queen Anne’s County through the Department of Community Services. We work to help all Queen Anne’s County citizens who need help to become self-sustainable. We do this through a variety of different services that cover all ends of the spectrum from homeless assistance, to enforcing housing livability codes, housing rehabilitation, and providing mortgages to support workforce housing.  We also oversee the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program for the County. 

How is the Housing Authority different from the Department of Housing and Community Services?              

The Housing Authority assists with Housing Choice Vouchers, also known as “Section 8” and rental communities.  Rental Communities Include: Fisher Manor, Foxxtown, Grasonville Terrace, Riverside Estates and Terrapin Grove.  If you have questions regarding Section 8 housing or any of the rental communities, please contact the Housing Authority at 410-758-8634.

Will you help me if I believe the building or apartment I rent is substandard?  

Yes, if you are a renter and have a concern about the condition of your home, and the landlord is not responding to your concerns you may call the Inspector at 410-758-3977. He works to ensure rental structures and premises meet minimum property maintenance standards in accordance with the Queen Anne’s County Housing Code.

Do you offer loans or support to people who are interested in buying a home?

Yes, we have several loan programs that may be available to help you buy a home.  Programs in this area are available to moderate income residents. Call 410-758-3977 for more information and to see if you qualify. 

Is there a special program for police, fire fighters, teachers, corrections officers and others to help them purchase a home?

Yes, the Critical Workforce Program offers second mortgage financing to first-time home buyers who meet the program guidelines. The purpose of the program is to ensure that the county continues to have an adequate supply of workers in local jobs that are critical to the safety and well-being of our county residents. The loan cannot exceed $50,000 or 33% of the total purchase price or the appraised value of the home and property, whichever is less.

Do you have home repair assistance for seniors and other low income homeowners?

Yes. The Home Repair Program is designed to repair serious health or safety hazards of owner-occupied homes of low-income senior citizens or handicapped persons. Due to limited funding, the amount allotted for emergency repairs cannot exceed $500.